Five Different Massage Techniques
It can be difficult to keep track of all the different kinds of massage techniques that we accustomed to having at our disposal. Here is a breakdown of the top three massage strokes and techniques that are most common America as of the late 2010s. In no particular order, please enjoy learning about these three techniques that you should familiarize yourself with in order to determine which may be best for your unique circumstances and preferences.
- Swedish massage. This is a very broad term with many different subtypes, but in general, Swedish massage refers to the type of massage that you are probably most familiar with. This is a general, full-body massage with a gentle application of pressure that focuses on revitalizing the body, improving circulation of blood and the lymphatic system, and relaxing tense muscles. As a result, this technique uses gentle pressure, and long, gliding strokes across the length of the back, legs, and arms before refocusing on tense areas such as the feet or shoulders which may need special attention. Swedish massage generally uses scented natural oils to aid in the administration of this type of massage therapy.
- Deep-tissue massage. This is a type of massage that is very different from the all-encompassing and “safe” massage techniques you would find in a Swedish massage room. Deep-tissue massage targets layers of muscles that are buried deeper in your core, where tense knots of muscle fibers can go unnoticed for months or even years at a time until there is a sudden flare-up. A deep-tissue massage therapist will use all of their strength to penetrate the layers of tissues. For instance, Swedish strokes typically utilize fingertips and open palms, where deep-tissue massage therapy involves application of heavy pressure from the elbows as well as the heel of the hand. Aromatherapy can be a part of the deep-tissue massage experience as well depending on the discretion of the massage therapist in question
- Hot stone massage. Different types of massage can involve accessory tools – for instance, some consider aromatherapy (the use of scented oils, incense, and air diffusion) its own separate field while most people like to include it with general types of massage as an accessory. However, hot stone massage is a bit of a different story. Here, smooth, heated stones are used as an extension of the hands and body of the massage therapist. These stones are sanitized and heated in a water bath to over 100 degrees. Generally, a massage will begin with gentle Swedish-style strokes to get the body used to this kind of stimulation before placing the stones along your back and limbs. The heat and steam are effective ways of relaxing tired muscles as well as a foggy, worried mind!
- Prenatal or pregnancy massage. This is a great addition to a prenatal yoga routine, where pregnant women work on getting themselves in the best physical condition. In the midst of the current “wellness boom” or fitness craze, more and more women are paying more attention to not only their diet but also their exercise routine and mental health, especially while they are pregnant. Being pregnant is not always a comfortable sensation, and swollen feet, sore ankles, and a sore back are only a few of the common complaints that pregnant women have to endure. Prenatal massage specialized in taking care of these general complaints. A good massage session will boost the overall mood and morale of the pregnant woman, which will only help the baby feel even better!
- Happy ending massage. This type of massage is the most complicated and controversial. Many parlors proudly advertise this service – including Las Vegas Asian Hotel Room Massage! – while others only market this service in as discreet a manner as possible. Even more so, a large majority of massage parlors refuse to have any sort of connection to this technique, sometimes referred to as “full service” massage, which features a massage therapist bringing the client to sensual fulfillment with their hand. Believe it or not, happy ending massages can have great health benefits for those who chose to seek out these services. Managing libido is an important factor of not only physical fitness but also mental health, self-image, and general morale. For some people, a massage is a safe context to practice this self-improvement in.
We hope you enjoyed learning about a few of the different branches of modern massage techniques! There are many more specific branches out there, but the above five techniques are the most common in America and likely to be the only kinds you encounter unless you chase down a more specialized parlor. Be sure to give Las Vegas Asian Hotel Room Massage a call so we can make a plan for you to take advantage of one or more of those services from the comfort and privacy of your own hotel room. Call us today with inquiries!